Dedicated Servers and Virtual Private Servers
Corporate websites and even smaller ones often require the entire resources of a server, in some instances multiple servers as well.
This is necessary to optimize performance of a website for its users, management of websites, web hosting and choosing the best hosting option are quite difficult to figure out. Primarily, the choice is thrown up between two approaches - dedicated hosting or virtual hosting.
Lets take a look at dedicated hosting.
A dedicating server allows a client to rent physical server space from a hosting services provider and have complete access and control over resources offered by the physical server without having to share space with other users as in shared hosting. This type is enormously suited for business or corporate websites that see huge amounts of web traffic and those that host enterprise CMS sites and very intensive CPU applications.
- Dedicated servers offer fully dedicated resources such as CPU, RAM etc. to the user, in short, it means that resources are not shared and hence performance is enhanced
- Complete control of physical server as compared to a virtual server that most often hosts other virtualized machines or servers
- Dedicated servers are more expensive in terms of usage and maintenance costs
- Hardware maintenance restricts downtime as any work can be done only during the window allocated by the hosting provider
Virtual private hosting server is a kind of web hosting which uses software that emulates multiple servers located on a single virtual host. This type of hosting treats each website as if it was on a separate machine and allows complete independence. Virtual hosting servers give clients a third viable option between shared hosting and dedicated hosting plans.
However, as with dedicated hosting, there are some pros and cons here as well.
- Quick scalability such as adding on resources like hard disk space and memory is possible as the server is not a physical entity.
- In the event of a hosting service having tech or connectivity issues, it can be moved to another virtual server to reduce downtime. In addition, backup restoration and disaster recovery measures can also be put into effect easily.
- Much lower costs when compared to dedicated hosting servers
- Hardware maintenance issues and downtime do not arise in a virtual private server as the server can be cloned or moved to another host
Tags : windows virtual private server, windows vps hosting, virtual private server,cheap dedicated server, virtual dedicated server hosting, managed server, managed dedicated server, server managed, dedicated server hosting, dedicated web server hosting, dedicated hosting managed server, dedicated server host,dedicated web server hosting, linux virtual hosting, virtual dedicated servers, low cost dedicated server,
windows dedicated servers, rent dedicated server, dedicated hosting solutions, dedicated hosting managed server.
- In many instances, virtual private servers use the resources of a single computer which means that the aspect of sharing arises.
- Many business requirements dictate the use of dedicated servers to meet with compliance and data security standards and hence, virtual servers are seen as far less than 100% dedicated.